Intelligent Transport System – Know Its Application and Working Method
Intelligent Transport Management System (ITMS) is a sub part of intelligent transport system (ITS). The ITS is in the centre of the concept of the development of smart cities and making the life of people of a city comfortable in every aspect with a focus on fast & safe transportation within the city.
The Intelligent transport system is a kind of platform, technology or application that aims to enhance the quality of transportation or get the outcomes based on applications that track, enhance, or manage transportation systems. It basically depends on data collection and the analysis of the collected data. After the collection and analysis of data, the respective authority uses the results to plan, manage and control transportation.
Applications of ITS
In today’s world, city roads face heavy traffic, especially in peak hours. One of the major applications of this technology is smart traffic management. Here are some other applications:-
- Automated road speed enforcement
- Collision avoidance systems
- Dynamic traffic light sequence
- Electronic toll collection
- Emergency vehicle notification systems
- Real-time parking management
- RFID in freight transportation
- Speed alerts
- Variable speed limits
Examples of ITS
Take an example of the city of Glasgow in Scotland. In this city, this technology keeps the residents informed about public bus timings, seat availability, real-time bus location, and the estimated time of the bus on a particular location, passenger density, and next location.
This technology has enabled the Seol government to design the routes of its new buses at night. It works on night-time mobile phone location data. In the implementation, the city authority worked with telecom companies for the analysis of calls made between 12 am to 5 am and matched this data with billing addresses to determine the best routes for night buses in the city.
How does an ITS work?
A traffic management centre is the essential unit of the intelligent transport system. And the transport authority of a city administers this technical system. Here are the steps on how this technology works:-
- Data collection – With the use of the relevant hardware devices such as GPS, automatic vehicle identifiers, cameras, and sensors, the data is collected with the real-time observation.
- Data transmission – There is a transfer of data to a TMC after its collection. SMS, and the internet is used for the transmission of data.
- Data analysis – Operators at a TMC move to the next step, the analysis of the collected and received data. In the analysis, data is rectified, errors are removed, and data is cleaned.
- Traveler information – The authority sends the transport updates to daily commuters of the city. The commuters have all the relevant information such as travel time, delay, travel speed, route change, diversions, accidents on roads, and work zone conditions.
ITS is a very useful technology. Its right implementation and uses facilitate city residents in their daily transportation from their home to office, educational institutes, etc. and vice-versa.